Google Panda Defined.
Google Panda is one of Google’s recent algorithm aimed to promote high quality content. Websites that utilize poor and duplicated content were the ones mostly targeted. The hardest hits in the past include Hubpages whose current visibility is 62% lower that it was before the Panda; New York Times-owned About.com; and Yahoo Associated Content (now Yahoo Voices) where two-thirds of their articles suffered sizable declines in traffic that as a drastic fix, they did a re-brand and deleted more than 75 thousand write-ups to follow a new guideline.
Google Panda Timeline.
Initially introduced on Feb 24, 2011, update number 1 forecloses on content farms. There had been 24 updates since then. For the past couple of years, roll outs were made almost every month. Last week, talks about the release of number 25 circulated after Matt Cutts made an announcement at the SMX West of a possible change. However, it was later said that the future updates would no longer be abrupt. In fact, it will be rolled out gradually, over a series of days and be incorporated into their regular overall algo changes.
Twelve (12) Tips on Panda.
Below are twelve things you can do in the year of the Panda. Whether you’re a local SEO company in the Philippines or an international freelance marketer, we hope these reminders would help you rank better in the eyes of the giant G.
- Create unique content. Be the industry news breaker. Look for hot and trending topics. Join groups and attend seminars to be on top of everything.
- Keep it long and substantial. The longer it is, the better. Start with 400-800 words. Inject substance. Write ultimate guidelines, tutorials and know-hows. Proofread your work so it would be free from factual and spelling errors.
- Block auto-generated content. This encourages duplication so be on a lookout for this. Always apply canonical tags. If your platform is WordPress, block the category and tag URLs.
- No to spinning. Avoid submitting redundant articles with varying keywords. Chances are, if you had an identical one published on your blog, the latter would be greatly affected as well. Again, quality over quantity.
- Do not over optimize. Too much and similar keywords on one page is not advisable. Vary your terms. Make your copy readable and natural from a user standpoint.
- Match the query with your content. Remember that searchers use particular phrases in hope to find useful information. So focus on being relevant and helpful.
- Diversify your links. Find other trusted sources that could boost your rankings. Do not stick mainly on organic. Consider paid options.
- Keep the adverts on your site to minimum. Excessive and inappropriate ads could pull you down.
- Build your online profile. Begin building profile through the social networks. Be active in Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook. Get to know the key personas in the related communities.
- Establish your expertise. Trust plays a big role in promoting your website. Some factors that Google considers: Was it written by an expert? Is the domain recognized as an authority on the niche? Does it have a potential to become viral? Is it shareable and recommendable to friends and families?
- Improve your loading time. Have your web design professional in the Philippines get rid of the unnecessary images and scripts that compromise your load speed. How slow or how fast people access your website is in Google’s radar so make sure to add this item to your checklist.
- Take time to study your analytics. The following signals could give clues to the total user and search experience: low percentage of visits, high bounce rate, low number of returning visitors and low click-through rates from SERPs. Come up with strategies to resolve these issues.
Nowadays, having your own business is what many people are aiming for. Instead of being employed and having a boss to answer to, a lot of people prefer to work for themselves by starting their own business. If you are thinking of doing the same thing and do not have a huge capital to start a big business, starting a home based one is a better idea. Below are some ideas to help you get started.
- Consultancy. If you are a professional, you can start your own consultancy firm. Whether you are a doctor, a lawyer, an accountant, a teacher, or an SEO specialist, you can setup your own practice at home. One timely business you can start is an SEO company in the Philippines. There is a growing demand for SEO services and it is quite easy to get SEO training in the Philippines if you want to learn more about SEO.
- Sell your own goods. If you know how to make certain goods or products, make them in your home and accept orders. Aside from selling your products to your family and friends, you can venture into online selling to be able to tap a bigger market. Some of the usual products that can easily be sold for your home based business are food items, clothes, hair accessories, and other accessories.
- Online contractor. You can start your own company of online contractors. Look for family member, friends, or colleagues who would be interested in some online work. You can venture into freelance writing, editing, transcription, and office services. You may want to start a small online firm of virtual assistants and then look for potential clients online.
- Small eatery/restaurant/diner/cafe. If you are good at cooking and you have several specialties, turn a small area of your house into a small eatery/restaurant/diner/café. There is no need to make it look like the usual restaurants that people can easily go to. Make it as homey as you can and give it your own personal touch. Your home business will have its own distinct personality and it will make it unique and memorable for those who will get to try it.
- Fitness studio. If you know yoga, zumba, or some other fitness exercise, start offering classes from your own home. If the classes are relatively small enough, you do not need to have it in a real studio. Just clear a small space in your home and start your classes.
Growth of mobile.
The number of mobile-connected devices will exceed the number of people on earth by the end of 2013. -Cisco, Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast Update, 2012–2017
On the said Cisco forecast, the growth in the use of such gadgets will arrive at around 7.6 billion, which will be world’s population at that time. According to Search Engine Watch, of the 6.8 billion people on the planet, 5.1 billion of them own a cellphone. As more and more utilize them in their everyday lives, a Google research showed that mobile-friendly sites can turn visitors into customers. In fact, 61% of the users said that they’d quickly go to another site if they didn’t find what they were looking for right away on a mobile copy. 52% claimed that a bad mobile experience made them less likely to engage with a company. Hence, mobile web development has become a must in today’s business strategies.
Mobile-friendly vs. Mobile Site vs. Responsive Design vs. Mobile App
There are four (4) ways you can improve the UX of potential clients. Here they are:
- Mobile-friendly site. This is virtually the same as your main website.
- Design: flexible though there may be instances that scrolling up or down and zooming on objects may be needed
- Key features: text-based contact information; slideshows not made of Flash; small embedded images for faster loading
- Major advantage: one site only, web version is the same as mobile’s.
- When to use: if analytics generates a report that majority of the visits come from the desktop
- Mobile site. This is a reduced form of the web edition, where only a fraction of the content, mostly important ones, is shown.
- Design: minimal; mainly composed of texts and optimized photos; fits the mobile screen perfectly
- Key features: simple and larger navigation buttons; option to view desktop version; click-to-call functionalities where typing is hardly required.
- Major disadvantage: need to maintain two different websites (one is web, one is mobile)
- Responsive Design site. This is a new trend applied by a number of SEO company and professional in the Philippines and abroad. With responsive design, there’s no need to create a secondary site aimed specifically for those who makes the most of the mobile technology.
- Design: very responsive that it automatically adjusts based on the device screen size and orientation
- Cost: Quite expensive due to new technologies used
- Mobile App. This is basically software apps especially designed to run on mobile instruments.
- How it works: a mobile application developer like say in the Philippines creates the application and uploads it in an app marketplace. The user, then, will download it and install on their smartphones or portable gadget.
- Key feature: always available even when you’re not connected to the net.
On the next post, learn more about the differences between Responsive Designed vs Mobile Optimized sites.
Ever since websites realized the importance of being seen through search engines, the field of search engine optimization has continued to evolve and develop. SEO or search engine optimization is the method of making a website or webpage more visible to search engine spiders so that it ranks high in search engine rankings for targeted keywords or phrases. While a website owner can easily turn to an SEO company in the Philippines for all their SEO needs, some prefer to do their own SEO training in the Philippines so they can have their in-house SEO specialist.
With the many ways that SEO has evolved over the years, many strategies are often used by SEO experts to optimize a website. Some of these are link building, putting quality content, and on-page optimizations, among others. Since social media has enjoyed immense popularity the past few years, the question that begs to be answered is whether social media affects SEO and for website owners, whether they should include social media sites in their SEO efforts.
Unfortunately, no matter how many links and mentions your site gets from Facebook and Twitter, it does not greatly impact your site’s rankings in search engine results. Hence, if you still want to rank high in search engine result pages, then more traditional SEO strategies should be employed. Strategies such as link building will still have a greater effect on your website’s rankings.
However, the goal of SEO is not just to achieve high rankings in itself. The main goal is to increase your website’s presence so that it will have a higher visibility to your target market. Even without search engines, social media sites can help you increase your site’s online visibility. Mentions in Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites will help you market your website to a more relevant audience.
In other words, social media optimization cannot replace the traditional SEO strategies, it will still help increase your website’s online presence.
Nowadays, the Internet provides a whole new arena of marketing and visibility. It has become a must for every business and individual that offer products or services to have their own website. The challenge is in how to make their website relevantly visible.
Because of the fight among websites to get to the top of search engine result pages, the role of a search engine optimization expert has become vital and important. It is not surprising that the challenge for websites to have Guaranteed SEO has created a relatively new career – the SEO expert.
If you think you have what it takes to take on a career as an SEO expert, below is a guide to help you become a successful one.
- Keep yourself well-informed. The field of SEO is a dynamic one. It is constantly changing and search engines update their algorithms frequently. The only way to keep yourself relevant and effective is to be well-informed of these updates and trends. Subscribe to good quality SEO blogs or websites and you may even want to go to an SEO Training Philippines company when you start going into SEO.
- Go for quality content. Search engines value high quality content. No matter what kind of algorithm a search engine uses, finding high quality content is almost always the goal. Aside from this, high quality content can easily be referenced by other people and websites, thus increasing your online visibility even more.
- Be reliable. No matter what career you may choose, reliability is always valued and choosing a career in SEO is no different. When you work as an SEO professional, make sure to reach any target that you have set and agreed on with your client. Before promising to bring a client’s site to the top three search engine results in a specific amount of time, make sure that you really can deliver that promise.